Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to get a visa?

: According to the EU Visa Code, the maximum case processing time cannot exceed 15 days, or in exceptional cases 30 or 60 days, respectively.

The Embassy aims to issue a visa within 15 days provided that we have full and satisfactory information and documentation about the applicant.

Please note: You do not need to contact us about your application unless you have important new information.

How long can I remain in the Schengen area if I hold a short-term Schengen visa?

Answer: The visa sticker indicates a period of validity which typically is longer than the number of days you are allowed to stay in Denmark or in other Schengen countries, for example 90 days. You must at any given time only have a maximum of 90 days stay in the Schengen region in any 180-day period.

Both the entire entry day and the entire exit day are counted in when calculating the number of days you may stay in the Schengen region – regardless of the time of day you enter or exit the country, since the days are counted from midnight to midnight. Both the day of entry and the day of exit must fall within the period of validity. It is always your own responsibility to be aware how long you are allowed to stay in Denmark. 

You can read more about how long you are allowed to stay here

When should I hand in my visa application?

Answer: Planning ahead and handing in the application as soon as possible is always a good idea since unforeseen problems, such as incomplete documentation, may arise and prolong the case processing time. However, a visa application cannot be accepted if handed in more than 3 months before the intended departure.

Do I need to submit the original invitation letter?
Yes. The reference - in business cases - must use the online invitation form. The invitation code, which you will receive after applying online, should be submitted to the Embassy . Information about online invitation letters

Can I apply for a visa with a validity longer than six months?

Answer: Tick 'Multiple Entries' in field 24 of the application form and write underneath that you wish for a long validity visa e.g. "I would like to have a 1 year visa.". You can also write your request for a long validity visa in a cover letter that you submit with your application.

Whether a visa for longer term can be issued depends on an assessment of the application.

Do I need to pay a fee to arrange an appointment or to obtain visa application forms?

Answer: No. Saudi, Kuwaiti, Bahraini and non-Saudi/non-Kuwaiti/non-Bahraini residents applying for short-term tourist, business or transit Schengen visas for Denmark and Iceland can submit their applications at the VFS centres with prior appointment.

The hand-out of application forms and information material as well as the arrangement of an appointment is free of charge.

Do I need a signature on the dispatch letter and invitation letter?

Answer: Yes. All letters from Saudi, Bahraini, Danish and Icelandic companies must be signed.

Do I need to apply for a visa in person?

Answer: Applicants need to appear in person for the collection of the biometric data: ten fingerprints and a photograph are collected from persons applying for a visa.   

Before the recording of the photo applicants may be asked to remove glasses or adjust head coverings if they hide facial features.

Certain categories of applicants are exempt from the requirement to give fingerprints, including:   

  • Children under the age of 12


  • Persons for whom fingerprinting is physically impossible


  • Heads of State and members of national governments, and members of their official delegations when invited for an official purpose. 

The introduction of biometric data is part of the Schengen Visa Information System (VIS). For more information about VIS, fingerprints, data protection and legal background, please see Visa Information System (VIS) factsheet here.  

Applications submitted by letter will be returned to sender. 
Requests for dispensations must be directed by e-mail to the Visa Section at the Embassy.


The e-mail must contain the full name of the applicant, who needs dispensation. This applicant must be able to prove that he or she has been to Schengen before and had their biometrics taken and followed the length of stay of the previous visa.

Can I travel with a visa issued in my old/expired passport?

Answer: In principle you can travel with visa issued in expired passport. However, the Embassy recommends that the applicant has the visa transferred to the new passport at the representation, where it was issued to avoid any problems when travelling.

Do I need travel insurance?

: Yes. Proof of health insurance is to be submitted along with your visa application. The following three items must be covered by the insurance:

1. repatriation for medical reasons;
2. urgent medical attention;
3. emergency hospital treatment.

It is preferable that the minimum coverage of EUR 30,000 is not divided up into these items. However, if this is the case, the minimum sum insured for each item should as a main rule be EUR 10,000. Importantly, the insurance must cover the effective period that you stay in Denmark/Schengen.

My application was sent to the Danish Immigration Service. Why?

: There could be various reasons for this. Each application is evaluated individually and based on the applicant’s profile, including purpose of visit and intention to return.

The Danish Embassy will decide to grant a visa “bona fide”, or send the application to the Danish Immigration Service for further investigation (e.g. verification of Danish reference, family/friend relations, previous stays/overstays in the Schengen area, risk of illegal immigration and more).

I received my visa, but how do I read the sticker?

: It is crucial that you check the information on the sticker before travelling as the Danish representation cannot be held liable if a mistake has occurred when printing the visa sticker. How to read your sticker here.

There is a difference between the number of days in my sticker and the total period of stay (from..until). How long can I stay in Schengen?

You are allowed to stay in Schengen for the number of days in the field 'DURATION OF STAY………DAYS'. The period 'FROM - UNTIL' is longer to allow flexibility regarding entry and exit within the mentioned period in case of emergency. So the total stay must never exceed the number of days in 'DURATION OF STAY………DAYS'.

Who should I contact to find out why my visa was refused?


You will receive a letter from the Embassy in your return application that will mention the reasons for refusal.

When can I reapply if my visa was refused?

Answer: You are free to reapply at any time if your application has been refused. There is no time gap to be observed after a refusal to make a fresh application. However, it is recommended that you meet the reasons for the earlier refusal before submitting a new application. Submitting a new application will not necessarily lead to the visa being granted.

What if I want to appeal against the refusal?

Answer: Follow the instructions which are laid out in the refusal letter which is sent to you in case your visa has been refused.

Will my fees be refunded if my visa is refused?

Answer: All fees are non-refundable and will not be returned if your visa application is refused by the Embassy.

I am a family member of a EU/EEA/Swiss citizen. What rules apply for me?

Family members of an EU/EEA citizen or Swiss citizen who is exercising his/her right to free movement in Denmark have the right to have their visa application processed in accordance with EU regulations.

More information is available on the website of the Danish Immigration Service.

What is a legalisation?

: A legalisation is a confirmation from a legal authority that the signature on a document is genuine. A legalisation does not have anything to do with the contents of a document, and merely confirms the signature is genuine.

What is a verification?

: A verification is typically used as proof that a photocopy is a true copy of the original document. Verification does not have anything to do with the contents of a document, and merely confirms that it is a true copy.

Am I allowed to work in the Schengen area if I hold a short-term Schengen visa?

: No. A short-term visa does not allow you to take up employment or establish a business, trade or profession in the Schengen region. However, during visits of less than 3 months you may carry out certain work-related activities without holding a work permit. More information is available on the website of the
Danish Immigration Service about visas and work permits.

I already hold a valid Schengen visa (have not used up all the days on the visa), but wish to apply for a complement new visa. What do I do?

Answer: You must submit a normal application for a new visa at the embassy of the issuing country.